Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Milestone alert!

We've been rather busy lately. So I'm sorry to all of my adoring, rarely-commenting friends (seriously. comments make me happy. don't you want me to be happy?!). But for once, I have a good excuse.

Enter Naomi Jeane. To be more specific, she entered at 7:26 am on January 8th. The little booger weighed 6lbs and 15 oz. The doctors were saying she was 42 weeks. We were saying 41 weeks. Being so small of a babe, I'm going to assume that we were correct. And yes, that is what your belly looks like AFTER the human has come out. I refused to step on the scales.

Birthing a baby has opened my eyes to this truth: You owe your mom a lot. I know it's a common joke: "I can't believe you're acting like this! Do you know what I went through to get you into this world?!"
Yeah, Mom, whatever.

Well, no more! Good gravy! 

We had taken the Birthing class and the Newborn class offered by the hospital. We felt ready to hold, feed, swaddle, change, shush, and bathe a baby. We knew the stages of labor and had an idea of what to expect. Jim was ready to coach. I was ready to breathe and try to freaking relax. 

Relax. Ha. I couldn't relax whenever I thought about it. Every woman, when asked how badly something hurt, compares it to labor. It's like THE pain of all. And I was going to start experiencing it any day now. 

So, at  2 am, on January 6th, they started coming in regular waves. I had been having them throughout the previous evening, but they weren't "regular." My appointment to induce (because I was "42 weeks") was that morning at nine. We walked in and the induction was canceled because God had decided to start my labor, not, thank goodness, Pitocin. So the day tick-tocked by. Imagine someone trying to blow up a balloon made of iron inside of you. I hissed air in and out like a snake, squeezing Jim's hands until they were white. 

To make a very long story short, my body stopped at 9 cm. You have to be 10 cm to push. The worst part is that you feel like you absolutely MUST push at 9 cm... but you can't. But, I was so close! It wouldn't take long to get that last centimeter!!

Four hours later it's 5 am on Wednesday morning... 9 cm. I was begging to push, crying as the balloon was huge and hard inside of me and only deflating for 30 second intervals. My doctor, knowing I had opted to not have an epidural, advised me to get one. "You haven't slept in over 30 hours. Your body is refusing to relax. The epidural will let you sleep for a few hours and hopefully when you wake up, we will be ready to push." The anesthesiologist was there in about 20 minutes... although it seemed hours. I tried not to think about a needle being inserted into my spine. Or that he really needed me to be completely still even though I couldn't control my shaking body. Praise God he got it in correctly and I had almost immediate relief.

But little Naomi was still going through labor. And she was tired too. Thirty minutes after my epidural, her heart rate dropped from 130 to the mid 50s. For the next thirty minutes, we struggled to get it to stay up. Nope. She was spent. Thus... C-section. Initially, when I realized they were really and truly prepping me for the OR, I was extremely disappointed. A C-section was the LAST thing I wanted. If I had wanted our baby to be cut out, we would have opted out of 27 hours of labor. But every time we thought about asking the doctor if we HAD to do this right now, our daughter's heart rate would plummet. Forget this. Get her out! Please! I was fighting tears and I saw my husband was too. It was terrifying.

But, thank you God!! She was pulled out safe and sound. Jim said he refused to look over the blue curtain because the doctors were yanking so hard in his peripheral vision.  The worst of it for me was my sleep deprivation. I had just been medicated so I could sleep. And now, any minute, I was going to see Naomi for the first time and I could barely keep my eyes open. You don't really realize how powerful the need for sleep is until you're fighting it tooth and nail and still losing. Thankfully, her cries saved me from drifting off. A few minutes later, Jim walked over, his eyes red and tired, his face a little pale from worry... but beaming. I love him so. Despite the attention I received for all of my effort through the labor, I couldn't have done it without him. He never slept and never left my side. I am honored that he asked me to be his wife.

And no, this is when she was a couple of days old. They didn't dress her up right out of the womb.


We didn't leave the hospital until Saturday. Jim's parents stayed at our house all week and came twice a day to visit. We had a "please bring" list for them pretty much every time they came, bless their hearts. And because my mother-in-law is awesome, she cooked many meals and put them in my freezer!



And so... we left home as two and came home as three. It was a fantastic feeling. A feeling that can only be described by a quick, Nehemiah-like prayer up to God of "Help! We don't know what to do now!"

And so far, we are all still alive. A little sleep-deprived...but our baby bathing skills improve daily, diaper changing speed has quickened, we are learning the preferred jostlings, and she's getting chubby.

Just look at those wittle wips.


We call this milk drunk.
And she just outgrew this outfit. I cried.



Her first doctor's appointment. She wants to be a boy scout. 


She's cooing right now. And I'd rather hold her than type. I will try very hard to log the trials and errors of this new stage of our lives. 

4 comments:

Ted said...

What a privilege to be in the neighborhood during this awesome event! Fellow blog fans, though you wouldn't know it from her writing - she was still quick with her smiles and hugs whenever we visited the hospital - and of course when she came home. The Lord is gracious! A girl! My sister is the first girl born to a Freeman in three generations...my daughter is the only girl (among the ten cousins)in her generation...and now Naomi Jeane! We are blessed!

Katie said...

Please, please do blog sometimes.

And my favorite part: "She just outgrew this outfit. I cried." I promise it isn't because I'm sadistic and like the thought of you crying; it was just so matter-of-fact, and I know for 100% sure that is exactly how I will be someday.

Also, um, yeah, so...you have a really pretty baby. (Like you didn't know that already. ha!)

rachel tsunami said...

I'm just loving catching up on all this. You have a precious doll. Your descriptions of Jim remind me of my Robert through all the pregnancies, births, and newborn phase. Always there, always gentle, always kind. Always helping. My hero.

caro said...

I loved reading Naomi's birth story. You are amazing! I'm so happy for you both. And she's such a cutie!