Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Week of Firsts

1) Nemo

Last Friday, a blizzard called Nemo (I'm not sure why the weather people named it after a little Pixar clownfish... because I'm pretty sure that is what most people think of when they hear that name) was about to come roaring into New England. We had heard a prediction of anywhere from 6 inches to 24 inches. We were both so excited about the snow... and then we realized Jim was working Friday night and I was working Friday and Saturday. To make it worse, the hospital called and said, "You can't call in sick, so come with overnight bags so you can work both days." Yay, a slumber party.

Thankfully, God corrected me quickly and made me realize that I was going to be at work, during my first blizzard and away from my husband. That was the plan HE had for the weekend, so get over it, dear one.

In the end, it wasn't so bad. Our house lost power and and Jim was unable to come home Saturday morning do to Nemo still pounding the coast, anyway. So, we worked. And I was able to watch snow accumulate at the most rapid rate I had ever witnessed from the warmth and safety of the hospital. 

2) Sleeping in a hospital bed

Thus, the hospital sleepover. I was imagining a room full of cots, snoring strangers, and a shared bathroom. God was very sweet and I slept in a maternity room. Like a room where moms and their new babies stay. Maternity rooms are very quiet, very clean, and big. AND they have their own bathroom and shower. I kept expecting cots to start being rolled in but I had it all to myself all night. Granted, I still didn't sleep well due to the different atmosphere, but it could have been much much worse. And I tried not to think about all of the bodily fluids I had seen on hospital sheets before I had stripped the beds of said sheets. Hospital sheets just like the ones I was sleeping on. I thought dreamily of bleach and the germ-killing, stain-fighting stuff it was and finally drifted off.

3) Sledding

Sunday morning and there was no church because no electricity means very, very, very cold buildings. Jim had been shoveling people out all Saturday evening, so Sunday, after a few more calls to check on various people, we sledded. Oh what fun it is to ride in a one butt (or two or three) plastic sleigh! Our electricity came on and a few more of our friends came over, relishing the chance for a hot shower and possibly a warm bed. One of them brought his toboggan. Yes. It was awesome.






4) Skiing.

I have been saying, "I'm going to learn. I mean... I'm terrified of the idea but I want to do this!" Admittedly, whenever the chance to do it came up and we were unable to go, I was secretly relieved. A day of looking awkward, falling on my face, and being cold did not sound appealing no matter how cool, "I'm going skiing," sounds. However, there was no backing out this time. I was so nervous and quiet, Jim thought I was upset with him. I knew I needed to take a lesson, but I didn't want to be by myself all morning. But, Jim snowboards and he admitted that, although he would gladly try to teach me, it had been so long since he had skied, he was afraid it would be like the blind leading the blind. So, I waited for my lesson to begin, relieved when other adults joined as I was mostly surrounded by children. 
The lesson started and I climbed a tiny mound without falling (the first part of a first timer's lesson is learning how to just walk around in your now 4-5 foot long feet). Then I skied down the tiny mound without falling! Yeah! This is great! Then I fell. Then I fell again. And again. I fell when I was just standing there. I flailed my arms wildly, attempting to keep my balance while just listening to the teacher. I had been warned that the first day is the most frustrating day and I was beginning to see why. Nothing the teacher was saying seemed to help. Lean forward and stand up straight? Lean forward and keep my hips in? What kind of strange bodily function is this?! At the advice of another newbie, I ditched the poles and concentrated on my skis. Suddenly, I wasn't falling! I was going uber slow, wedging my way across the hill face, but I didn't fall! I was even turning! Jim came around that time, his face red from the wind and we went to eat lunch. After eating it was on to the big beginner hills. Which meant taking the ski-lift. I had heard horror stories of these things: piles of people being dumped unceremoniously off at the top, rude lift workers refusing to slow it down despite the mound of bodies, parents desperately attempting to get on then off again with their squirming children, people face planting in front of the whole crowd at the top, but hey! What's a little more embarrassment on this very humbling day! 
I made it the first time. Then I made it down the whole hill and only fell once! Then I did it all again with the same results! Then I got on that lift for the third time and when it vomited me out I landed on my rear and slid down the hill, probably nearly impaling a stranger with my crazy pole swings. Ahh, humility, how I love thee!
Jim was incredibly supportive and stayed with me for the rest of the day, despite the easiness of the hill we were gliding down. He grinned proudly and told me I was a pro.... but he's supposed to say that. 
Also, look out for the little children. They zip around you with no fear, no poles and sometimes with their skis tied together in the front. Some parents had there children harnessed to themselves so they couldn't get away. I kept expecting them to shout, "Mush!" because the kids always looked like they were straining against their parental tie-downs.
I think we'll go again soon.

2 comments:

Ted said...

And its snowing again......more adventure! Enjoy!

Anna said...

You flailing your arms trying not to fall is a hilarious image in my head!
I laughed out loud at it. Thank you.


I would of done the same..