Monday, January 21, 2013

Hi! I'm an airhead and I'll be your nurse today!

For those of you who aren't nurses and don't know this, I attempt to explain the sometimes utter confusion that is shift change.

You are receiving detailed information on five people, all of whom are in different rooms, have different problems, social details, health history, quirks, oddities, some are alert and oriented, others are confused as all get out and are, as we speak, attempting to leave the unit on their very unsteady legs.
Also, we are short an aide, so you will need to check the three of your five's blood sugars. And treat them with insulin before breakfast gets here. Oh wait, it already is here. Sorry.

Also, room 322 wants pain medicine. Like, yesterday. So, she hates you already. And Dr. ____ called and wants you to call him with room 324 hematocrit as soon as lab gets it. And room 318's daughter is on the phone and wants you to update her.

So, having said all of that... please understand the embarrassing mistake I'm about to tell you.

I had two more patients to stick my head in on and say "Hi, I'm Amy, I'll be your nurse until 7pm, is there anything I can do for you?" I THOUGHT I was sticking my head in on the patient who had a very strange last name.

"Good morning! Okay, before I slaughter your name, can you tell me how to say it?"
The 70+ gentleman peered back and me and hesitated. Then his eyes twinkled.

"Smith," he said, very carefully, so that I would catch the full pronunciation. "Bill Smith, actually. It's a pretty easy name."

I could have died.

3 comments:

elliebird said...

HAH! i bet that made his day.



p.s. are you sure you mean bimbo?

Ted said...

And in the process - you made Bill Smith's day with a smile and a chuckle.

Dennis said...

The ability to laugh at self.....lost on so many....Thanks