Thursday, August 9, 2012

New home again, home again, jiggity jig!


Again, it's been too long in between postings. It isn't that I "don't have anything to write about." I enjoy writing about the normal, everyday things. And obviously, those kind of things happen... everyday. But I let too many of those normal days pass and I'm overwhelmed with all that I haven't written about and I feel like I've let my adoring masses down and that intimidates me into more days of silence and then when I actually start typing all I can produce are these panicked run-ons!!


Please know that my "adoring masses" is typed in complete and total sarcasm.

Probably the biggest news is that we have moved. And I mean we really moved. The Coast Guard decided that Cape Cod, MA is where Jim's next rotation would be so we packed our house and drove up here. For all of you who know me, you know that I get very sentimental over "lasts." God was gracious and granted me a very surreal calm as I packed up our first home,  hugged many precious friends, sat under Dr. Lawson for the "last" time, and drove away.

I'll miss our sunny breakfast nook,

the surprise afternoon thunderstorms, 

and so many different precious moments that Mobile gave us.

The goodbyes to my siblings were not so easy. The dry eyes in Mobile did not last. I shed many tears as I bear hugged Ryan, Anna, and Alisa. Thankfully, we live in the days of facebook, Skype, email, texting, cell phones, and airlines and not in the days of wagons pulled by oxen, no air conditioning, the Pony Express, and wild saloons. I don't know how wild saloons is a part of bear hugging family members but the Pony Express just led me to it.

Thank YOU, God for parents who both desire to help and are capable! My parents surprised us with a last minute offer to drive up with us and stay for several days and then fly back. Yes!! It helped brake up the boredom of driving alone (haha.... brake and driving! get it?).


We arrived late Tuesday afternoon and Jim's parents arrived shortly after from Maine. The ENTIRE truck was unpacked that night, mainly by the guys. 


The kitchen and living room were unpacked and arranged by the following night, with pretty much all the furniture in the house where I... I mean, WE wanted it. The dads tackled electrical outlets, broken drawers, garage button wirings, and busted shelves, while the moms cleaned, wiped, and arranged with a vengeance. By the time my parents left on Friday afternoon, I only had one box of books left to unpack. 





We all went out to eat at Peking Palace Wednesday night. It was gude. As was the convasashun.


We even had time to do a little exploring downtown Falmouth Thursday evening and Friday morning! There are some old cemeteries to peruse and I took it upon myself to look for some unique future Freeman child names. Elery, perhaps? Solomon? Isa? Jim liked Sophronia and Marbra. Not.
My favorite was Asenouth. I kid you not. 

And guess what family is being buried in the area? Yeah, you'd better watch your back. How many times do we have to say it? These people cannot be killed!! This is just a set-up! 



Smiling parents. When my Dad isn't wearing his sunglasses, he puts them on the back of his head.


Goofy parent.


The drive to the airport was a rather silent one. I'll blame the horrendous Boston traffic. Yeah. We weren't fighting tears at all. Due to said traffic, we didn't have time to park the car and walk in with them. I had to hug them on the sidewalk and stay with the car (Jim knows more about getting boarding passes then I do and could get them through it faster). I don't know if a fast goodbye was better or worse for us. But my mom forgot her sunglasses and I got to run back in and give them seconds. It was hard. Not that I didn't think it would be hard.... but I ran back out to where Jim was waiting for me, hopped in, and cried and cried and cried.

My mom called later during their layover in DC. Apparently, she had two pocket knives in her little carry on makeup bag that she had forgotten about... security found them and she had to get body scanned. My mom, the terrorist. Dad teased her about it for quite a while, she said.

Sometimes, I almost forget that we've moved so faraway from my home state. But various things bring me back to reality:
1) We've only had to turn on the air conditioning a few times. Despite it being July/August, there have been evenings outside that needed a sweatshirt.
2) A beach goer was attacked by a Great White... swimming, anyone?
3) Sweet tea isn't offered.
4) "Going-half" - You are sitting in a parking lot, needing to go left on the two lane road in front of you. Going half is the accepted driving habit of pulling into one lane of traffic, causing it to stop, and waiting until the opposite lane stops and waves you in. And everyone is totally okay with it! Nobody honks, flips you a finger, or even gives you a dirty look! It's incredible!
5) The unescapable nautical theme: stripes, whales, plaid boat shoes, lobster traps, and homemade ice creams shops. I love it. And of course homemade ice cream shops are nautical.



My mom probably wouldn't want me to post this one because she forgot to put on her ball cap. But her hair is growing out from chemo and I think she rocks it. My dad calls the way it flips and curls all over the back of her head her "ducktails."




Dad, we still haven't asked about the system these people must have for draining rain water from their uncovered boats.

So, here we are. In house that is big enough for a family of 8-10. So, please, come visit. And if you can figure a way to smuggle it through the airport, bring some sweet tea with you.

4 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

That was a great update Amy! Thanks for all the newsy stuff and the pictures.

Being from the Cape (long ago now), may I just say that the shark thing is a fluke and really 'never' happens? And also, homemade ice cream is definitely 'nautical.'

Great to see your parents whom I've never met but I can tell I'd love. I'm definitely going to start wearing my sunglasses on the back of my head. Special blessings to your mom - her hair is glorious.

Rutland VT is only 4 Hours away - come on up here and not just to ski!

-Chris Booth

Ted said...

Yay! The blog is back!
Dennis..... scuppers....

We're so glad to have you closer!
Love,
Dad II

Meryl said...

We are so glad to have you several hours closer (sorry, Pam and Dennis). Glad to hear you're enjoying New England so far. Just keep these thoughts in mind come February:-)

pamphlet said...

I miss you bunches and so glad you are blogging again - I love your wit and sense of humor.