Wednesday, June 15, 2011

soft expired peaks


Pioneer Woman posted a recipe a few weeks ago that I have been wanting to try ever since. Last week I finally had all of the ingredients and the appropriate time. So, I commenced to making Strawberry Pound Cake with Basil Whipped Cream. Yums, right?

So, I rounded up the typical ingredients and correct equipment. I creamed the sugar and butter,


then convinced the strawberries to go for a whirly-ride.


They didn't even say thank you.


I added the flour,


the (now) disgruntled strawberries,


and whipped it into a beautiful fluffy pink batter. And my left hand is seriously handicapped. I needed it to work the mixer so I could take pictures with my right. Would you believe that Lefty barely knew how to use an electric mixer? It was like, "Whoa man! Why you make me be doin' all this work?"

After pouring the batter into a bread pan and into the oven to bake, go out into your lovely, dew-kissed, weed-free garden and pick some fresh basil. If you don't have such a garden, it's okay. I don't either. If you don't have a garden period, come to my house and get all the basil you want. Seriously.


Ah. Now the whipping cream. I love whipping the cream. I love it the way it forms "soft peaks." So, I started whipping. I whipped and I whipped and I whipped. After 25 minutes, I googled "how long does it take whipping cream to whip," and was told by the masses that the longest it should take was 10 minutes. And that was with a hand mixer. So, I continued to electrically whip for another 10 minutes. Thus I had whipped for 35 minutes and this is what I was looking at. Not to mention that, by now, it was all over me, the counter, the flour and sugar containers, and the mail lying on the counter.


So, I yanked open the fridge and glared at the whipping cream. It said, "Don't blame me! You're the idiot who didn't check the expiration date!"
Yes. May 4th. And it was, very much, no bones about it, June 3rd. It didn't smell or anything to clue me in. It just didn't whip. Curse you, whipping cream. My husband reminded me that this was not a big deal and that we would get a free one from Winn Dixie. Which we did.


Ah. Whipping cream that hasn't expired. I love whipping cream that hasn't expired.


Look at those soft peaks. And that lazy left hand that can't even hold the glass bowl upright. And the weird yellow lighting.


Stir in the chopped basil and remember to look up the definition for pontification.


Voila!
Oh, by the way, the cake finished while I was whipping for nothing.


I will be perfectly honest and say this: It was kind of weird. All together it was good.... but the whipping cream by itself was strange and the cake by itself was plain. Now, the strawberries by themselves were fantastic! But, God made those, so duh. Jim said he liked it and I believed him... but we didn't go back for seconds.

3 comments:

pamphlet said...

|Well... it is pretty but I must be honest - when you said basil and whipping cream - my tongue did a flip and yes - gagged me - I absolutely LOVE basil and tomatoes and garlic - yum - maybe my tongue was gagging on the sugar in the whipping cream - wait - did you have sugar in the whipping cream? Anyway - what about pesto? are you making pesto with all that basil?
Love you!

Dennis said...

Glad Jim gets to try these first!

Amy said...

Mom,
I do need the pesto recipe!

Dad,
Is that tongue-in-cheek? Are you glad he gets to veto the "just okay" ones?