Tuesday, February 22, 2011

On liking neutrals

We went to get our rug last Saturday. We had already picked it out a few weeks ago, but we waited until it went on sale. The wait idea was Jim's. Of course it was a good idea! It was his, wasn't it? If we had bought it the day we found it (which is when I wanted to) we would have paid twice the amount we paid Saturday.
Before we went looking for one I told Jim to not worry, I was considering getting a neutral rug. I'm sure he was relieved. You see, Jim doesn't really trust my matching skills. My Dad told me that he doesn't, either.
"Amy, can I say something?"
Oh boy.
"I'm not very confident with your matching."
P.S. My Dad wears overalls everywhere.

It didn't help that when Jim and I were dressing up for a tacky Halloween party I changed multiple times because I felt like I was dressing normally. And I was stupid and said that out loud.

And Jim knows I like this rug:
Also, I got my Country Living magazine this week and there was a really cool house in it. Its owner said, "I don't care if colors clash. A person's personality should be reflected in a house." Watch out, husband. This mismatching, pattern clashing, era-crossing personality wants to be unleashed.
But for now, a neutral rug.

This is Jim, supporting the second amendment.
We got our chest freezer, Mom. Stocking up on grocery sales, here I come!

Yes, I offered to help. He said no thanks.

Speedy carpet unrolling!!

Voila. Rugs make rooms look so much warmer. And no matter how hard I try, I cannot get those things over the doorway to look right. I want them to drape. Maybe when the bookshelves go up, it will help.

This picture was taken right as Galadriel, in all of her drama, burst through the wall.

5 comments:

pamphlet said...

VERY nice - amazing what wall hangings and rugs and mirrors do to a room - where is the book shelf going? And may I make a suggestion - remove zome of zhe ztufff from the bottum' auv shour living room tabell (that's me speaking French). Love you!

elliebird said...

embrace the mismatched, amy. it will open up a whole new world.

:)


this post made me think of the carpet you liked.

http://cocokelley.blogspot.com/2011/02/chic-little-entryways.html

Max-Frederick said...

Supporting the second amendment!
haha, i like the striped rug... one day!

Abby said...

Your house is looking like a home! and the striped rug is lovely ;)

savy said...

AMY PORTER FREEMAN! You should have gotten a striped rug!