Tuesday, May 12, 2009

slightly pothered

Just finished Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis. The man was a writing fiend. Great, you're thinking. Another tribute to The Chronicles of Narnia. No, I SAID Till We Have Faces! Sheesh. Anyways.... I'm not really sure if I liked it. I mean, I devoured the book. Mr. Lewis's grip on the English language combined with his story telling abilities make any fiction work of his superb. But, the ending baffled me. It was just...bang. Over. All of the queen's muddled problems understood and resolved in the last few pages. I was kind of left gasping and a little confused as to what it was she exactly understood.

I learned two new words, though:
Chary: characterized by great caution and wariness
Pother: make upset or troubled

I think my favorite sentence in the whole book was the description of the god's voice:
"It was unmoved and sweet; like a bird singing on the branch above a hanged man."

3 comments:

alisa said...

i told you it was confusing.

Nasada said...

i think i want to read it..i think

Margaret Mead said...

that is exactly how I felt when I read it..I am still wondering about that one.