Thursday, February 12, 2009

When i get that degree...

I am going to start piano lessons back. I miss them. I want to learn the theory I never learned and pick-up Debussy, Chopin, Rachmaninov, and Mozart. Yes, even Mozart, though I still harbor ugly thoughts of him.

I have friends who are still taking lessons and they mention the headache of practice and the joy of performing it completely and the rush to memorize.... and I want those feelings again. So badly! I never thought I would miss them, but I do! I sit down now and try to play them only to find that my touch has drained. I refuse to let it go. I worked too hard to get it.

Thus... I have decided I need lessons. I need a teacher. I need someone who will say, "You HAVE to get this done by this date." Because it's someone expecting me to do it that will make me do it. It's a lack of self-discipline, I know, but it's the truth.

4 comments:

Chall said...

If you need some inspiration to get you back to it...check out the works of Strauss and Bartok. Anytime I really listen to either one of them, I spend days practicing afterward.

S. Kaufman said...

how did i miss this post?

i recently checked out some piano scores from the library so i could get back in to playing. i'm working on Debussy's Arabesque no. 1 right now. it's pretty and kinda simple, but it's a good place to start back :)

Amy said...

that's really weird... that's the one i've been looking at.

S. Kaufman said...

do it! it's really fun to play- a lot of two against three rhythms and weird harmonies, but beautiful.