Monday, November 3, 2008

Stupidity

It irritates me to no end when I hear people saying they won't vote. Even my friends. Whether they didn't get registration information out in time, or they don't know where to go, or "it's pointless anyway... we're a red state" or "one little vote staying home doesn't matter" or they think it's silly how I think that one vote can change the world....!!! Augh!! No, one freaking vote won't change the world. But go and find out how many "one-vote" representatives of our country's population stayed home... thinking "One vote won't matter! What the heck is the big deal?" 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1.... eventually makes millions, my friends.

Why do people take this so lightly? We have a chance to decide who our next leader will be, and you're too lazy to go fill out a piece of paper?! It's important! And as Christians, I think we have an even stricter calling. To perform our duty as first and foremost, 1) a child of God, and 2) an American citizen. We should be running these candidates through a much more intense filter than the world does! But we don't! It's ashaming to see your nonchalance in such an important decision regarding the future of our country.

So go ahead, Christians. Sit at home. Don't vote. Everyone else in this country has done such a bang-up job of destroying the morals and values that all those men in the Revolutionary War fought and died for.... you might as well join the cause and not care, either.

13 comments:

Chall said...

It's just like Chris Hall's second correlative of pennies:

"Pennies Make Dollars...and Dollars Make Pizza."

-chall

s. wells said...

i am not voting because i have a right to not vote. it would not be a right or a freedom if one did not have the choice.

neither candidate has displayed the integrity that i would want in my president, nor do they show an interest in what i think is most important. after thorough research, prayer, and thought--i am withholding my vote.

and, no, i'm not lazy, i'm not disinterested, and i'm not uninformed.

s. wells said...

p.s. sorry, i didn't mean to sound so crazy or mean!
this may be the last time i take this kind of action, but i've got to make sure what i'm doing is true to who i am and what i believe.

Amy said...

sarah, no worries! i still love you... and all of my friends who aren't voting! i may have come off as a little harsh myself... and your right, it is a freedom of choice. I just highly disagree with some people's choices.

Owl of the Desert said...

I love voting. It gives me a rush each time. I don't always like my choices, but be that as it may, I vote and try to make the best decision possible.

Jeff said...

I think the owl of the desert has a point. I almost peed in my pants because I was so excited about exercising my constitutional rights that people gave their last dying breath for. I like the fiery comments, Amy. It makes me want to shoot a deer.

on to june said...

I don't think you're too harsh. I think every person should do research and find the candidate that best represents his or her views. I think that if you cannot find anyone you like at all, in any of the offices up for election (which I think is very highly unlikely if you get off your apathetic butt and do some research) you should go and turn in a blank ballot. I think people who don't vote are extremely foolish, and also usually, despite protests to the contrary, lazy. Sometimes you have to make very difficult, imperfect decisions. I find it difficult to respect anyone who does not have the fortitude to do so.

Mark Twain said...

If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it.

on to june said...

mark twain, you're flipping dead. so shut up.

on to june said...

...and also, i promise my comments weren't strictly pointed at people who have written in this blog. i've talked to a bunch of people this week who have shirked their duty. i would venture to say that all of them have done so out of a pretentious neo-coffee-shop-thick-black-glasses-i-like-coldplay fashion sense. it's cool to be paralyzed by fashionable pseudo-cynicism. i'm about ready to punch the mtv reality-show generation in the face.

Chall said...

We're 20th Century guys...

alisa said...

we weren't just voting for a presidential candidate. i know that here, we also had a chance to elect a senator and a state representative. they are very important in the governing of this country. to me, that alone is worth going to the polls for.

plus, sometimes we're voting on laws. in arizona, florida, and california, the people voted to ban same-sex marriage. and two of those states are "blue states".

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1....

Dodger of Sheep said...

Refusing to vote doesn't do anything except make you silent. Let's say there are two people running for president and everyone in the country agrees that they are both idiots. So, being fine upstanding citizens, everyone in the country decides not to vote at all to show their disapproval for these candidates. Except one guy. He decides to be all counter-culture. He votes. Guess who gets elected? The person that one guy voted for. Doesn't matter that everyone else hates it, that candidate is going to be president because someone actually voted for him.
Extreme example, but you catch my drift.