Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tell me why. I want to know.

Today I called a friend. He's a good friend. Very very patient with my slowness in returning calls. Very very honest in his conversation. I'm pretty sure we talked for an hour and a half. There's a girl he likes. A lot. It's delightful.

You can call it nosy, you can call it female, you can call it stupid, I don't care! BUT, I love love love asking my friends why they like someone. I want to hear it. I love making them dig for words to describe this new found feeling. I want them to think about other things besides the fact that she's beautiful when she stands in the sun and the wind blows her hair or the fact that he's sensitive (what does that mean, anyway?). It's just that... you are my friend. And I am so happy that you have found someone with whom you could possibly grow old. Now tell me why! And most of the time, they do. Because I am willing to listen in silence while they fumble for the right words. I'm not trying to be the devil's advocate, friend, but if all you can say is that he has great biceps, calves, and nice teeth.... I'm sorry, but I will not giggle along with you. Can anyone define shallow?

Anyway, I was talking to said friend and I asked him why. And the floodgates opened! This guy is one of the most logical, eloquent, intelligent guys I know and he was positively stammering. He was repeating himself, tripping over sentences, and stuttering, yet, could not stop talking. I hardly said a word for a good 30 minutes. And he told me why he liked her. It was for her forthrightness, her modesty, her gracefulness, her way of speaking, her beauty, her adventurous spirit, her passion for her work, her love of her family, her way with children, her integrity, her walk with Jesus.... he went on and on and on. I usually get this conversation from girls, so listening to a guy explain what caught his attention was fascinating (and educational). He's trying to keep his emotions in check because he knows that it is possible nothing will come of it and he will say "God is good" regardless. But, oh, how he admires her!

And it caught me: why is this kind of love so amazing to me? Is it because it's just a tiny, little, microscopic, dust-speck of what God has bathed us in? Is it knowing that the only way we can even attempt to love here on earth is because He held our hand and showed us how to do it? He died for me because He was in love with me. He would have done it for just me. I ravish His heart with just one look. He has prepared the feast and sent me the invitation.
And Gomer is my name.

7 comments:

amelie said...

wow. whoever this girl is makes me suddenly feel pointless...kind of incompetent.

Amy said...

No no no! I didn't want you to think that! He likes her... and someday, someone will feel the same way about you. Actually, The King already does.

Chris said...

It's a lonely world...
Everybody's grabbing what they can get...
Love is wonderful you've heard...
Don't know if you seen it yet...
Don't settle for less than love...

-The Normals

Thought of that song when I read this. Sounds an awful lot like someone I know.

We're all cheering him on from his other home.

-chall

amelie said...

Elvis likes me?! :-)

I know you didn't mean it like that. It's really sweet that he said those things about her.

Owl of the Desert said...

Wow, what an amazing 30 minutes of listening. I share with you the enjoyment of hearing people describe the ones they love, although I don't think I ever ask the question. I guess in the past I've just had the blessing of someone else asking and I get to listen. Although, I got to be honest...if it's really good, it'll make me tear up, like this post did at the end. Seriously. My eyes watered at that last paragraph, and particularly the last sentence. So true.

s. wells said...

i like this post, i had a moment like your last paragraph last week. thinking of God's unconditional love and how i can approach him and tell him my fears, joys, everything- and he doesn't judge me but walks with me gently.

(p.s. having a man that is an example of gentle love and unconditional grace has shown me a lot of God's character! it's wonderful.)

Anonymous said...

i sure hope this girl knows what she's got.