Wednesday, October 1, 2008

No dalmation

I am here. I promise that I will never turn to the dark-side of "I-have-a-blog-but-I-only-write-on-it-once-a-year." Lame. Lame lame lame. And don't tell me you don't have time! I have friends who work full time, are in graduate programs, are planning weddings and they update frequently. And don't say you don't know what to write about! You woke up this morning didn't you? You're breathing, aren't you? Write about the awesome God who allows your heart to keep beating, your DNA to correct its own damage, and your loops of Henley to function.


I have community clinicals this semester... which means several things:
1) Different schedule every week
2) End of the day thoughts of "Why was this necessary?"
3) Lots of people, lots of different situations
4) Schedule gaps that allow for kick-butt workout programs at UAB's REC

Two weeks ago, I had to spend a day in a firestation and ride with the rescue team. My dad is a fireman, so I had a small (very small) picture of how things run here. I had been in several stations, had talked to different guys... but I was still nervous. I mean, Dad was always there with me. I was on my own here for eight hours. Gulp. Plus, heck, I'll be honest, most Birmingham stations have 1-2 pretty good-looking guys.
So I'm there at eight... shift change, I'm in the way, I'll just make myself invisible. It was a slow day in Birmingham. Nobody got shot or stabbed. We went out twice, one of which got canceled before we got there. It was funny because they were obviously a little embarrassed that they weren't able to show the young nursing student the dashing life of a fireman. I know they enjoy the assumptions everyone has about them. The whole idea of "We save people's lives, run into burning buildings, and look good while doing." Don't get me wrong... I know they do those things! And that they have to be brave and take risks when those circumstances occur. My Dad has been a fireman for almost twenty years. But it's also because of that, that I have never had any romanticized ideas of firemen. Dad has never played up what they do. Anyway, the rescue team have the radios that they can carry around. They were both young and were bored with the lack of activity so we ran errands most of the day. I kidd you not. We went to a kitchen-supply store, Belk, a grocery store, another station to see the new trucks, and two uniform stores (they bought me the t-shirt they wear to work!). It cracked me up. It was fun walking around stores with them. I was like, yeah, I'm with the firemen. I'm sorry if we smell like smoke or that our hands are dirty. We've had one busy day.

5 comments:

Owl of the Desert said...

I want to ride in a fire truck!

Jennifer said...

That sounds really cool. And hot. At the same time...

s. wells said...

every time i call my dad and he's at work (he's a fireman), he's at at a BBQ restaurant, or the grocery store, or grilling out at the fire station.

some times when we visit him at the station, he has to run...but it's usually for some old lady who fell down in her house or a car wreck.

s. wells said...

another thing- yes! people who work, go to grad school, are planning their wedding, and taking care of a professor's house DO update their blogs frequently- and they check yours to see if you've done the same.

so write!

anna said...

i remember dad took ryan,caleb,asa, and me on a ride and everytime we passed people he would be like" DUCK"!! so we jump down on the floor and then get back up and start enjoying the ride again..