Sunday, June 8, 2008

The End

Yeah… attitudes are getting kind of stinky here at the end of the third day. And Dad passed his cold along to 3 of us. I despise sore throats. I can be so cranky: don’t talk to me, don’t try to make me laugh, I don’t even want to smile. But… all in all still a good trip.

The five kids went to the public pool today. I forgot how much I hate them: no stunts off the diving board, jump, surface and swim for the ladder (no playing around the board), no running, no horseplay in the water, no treading water, no holding your nose, no towels allowed… okay, I made the last three up, but, what the heck? Yee-haw howdy, here we are, standing in the pool. Don’t move or they’ll blow their whistles. After about an hour we were ready to head back to the lake where the only rule was “Don’t jump off the bridge.” I think I can handle that.

Dad and I left to find somewhere with internet service so I could download homework from UAB. We stopped in a little place called Lynchburg and the welcome center had wireless. Which is how the 2 previous blogs were posted. I was the only one in the room (except for the very cordial and quiet receptionist), the room was still and cool, and the leather couch was navy blue. It was perfect for studying… until 6 very large and in charge women, with their 3 small girls, entered. They had come from a softball tournament and were decked out appropriately, with sleeveless jerseys, baggy shorts and bleached/frizzy hair. They formed a long and loud line to both bathrooms as there were no men. I was trying to concentrate… because by this time I was on facebook and it requires a lot of attention. At least it was particularly absorbing at the moment. One woman began to show her friends how her little two year old could sing a country song. I didn’t recognize it but it had something to do with being a tough girl and what she’s going to do to her cheating man. I tried not to look prim and horrified. Close the laptop. Thank you, polite receptionist. Peace out, Lynchburg welcome center.

Got back to camp and we walked to the marina for a wonderfully massive ice cream cone. Yes, I have a cold. And yes, I know I just helped out the enemy troops in my body. But it was good.

Dad took Mom kayaking and we were playing in the road- cause that’s where all the cars are - when the young man who worked the front desk drove up. Single young man. He stopped, smiled and conversed. And conversed some more. With skillful manipulation of the conversation he learned our names, where we were from, learned I was the oldest, informed us of all his previous work experience, learned our ages… made sure we knew that he would be there in the morning when we checked out, told us about the star-gazing event tonight, and said if we were interested in getting a job at a camp that he would take our email addresses and send us info. Sir, I just got out of the shower, my hair is damp and curling in every direction except down, I have on a t-shirt and gym shorts, I’m barefoot… and you are obviously interested. A job that lonely isn’t very attractive to me. Oh, and are we coming back this summer? Oh… too bad. When he got back in his cart and drove off, Ryan looked at me and said, “It’s a good thing you’re here, or we would’ve never learned all that.” I said, “Yeah, well, you also would have got to play the last 30 minutes of daylight. It’s too dark to see, now.”
I want to write more, but I am exhausted. Good night.

4 comments:

Dodger of Sheep said...

Like moths to a flame...

Little Lady said...

Or like bees to honey.

Amy said...

... or like vultures to roadkill. just kidding.

alisa said...

listen, little sister. you may have thought you looked bad, but i'm sure you did not look like roadkill.