Saturday, June 7, 2008

Day 2's story.... still at the welcome center.

Current tick count:

Ryan – 3
Asa – 4
Caleb – 4
Amy – 2 (I’m such a slacker)
Anna – 3

But, to quote Asa, “I haven’t really been checking.” The ones counted were the ones crawling in plain view. But extra care is being taken in the shower… because there’s lots of places that are hard to reach. Sorry. Brad Paisley surfaced. I try to keep him submerged as much as I can. At least it wasn’t Toby Keith; I cannot stand that guy, but I seem to always sing him around one particular friend.
Today, we all went to Wal-Mart with the now-very-long list. The whole family went. We split in 3 different directions. Yet, because opinions are needed, someone would always come in search of someone else. Ryan bought a batman mask. He walked around the store and the campground with it on. He’s pretty good at the whole “I’m Batman” voice. When he told Mom, she just said “Well, I’m Batman’s mother.” One day…one day…. even though I used to hate it, I will look at my many children and say, “Because I’m the mother, THAT’S WHY.” And it will be amazing.

I will say this for Tennessee people: maybe it’s just a change of view but they seem to know how to work the land. It seems like Alabama is full of pastures with nothing in them except dried up ponds and cow patties. Ignored cultivation. The ground here is alive and working: wheat, corn, orchards, goats, horses, and cows. Don’t get me wrong, I love untouched nature. More than split- rail fences and autumn bouquets. But if God has given you land, use it in a way that would glorify Him! Don’t let it just sit there and waste away. I saw a massive Weeping Willow today. It was taller than the 2-story house it shaded. I glimpsed several tree-lined driveways, something I would love to have at my home one day: a driveway lined with Bradford pears. I would say oak trees, but I am a selfish person and I know that I would never get to see the full effect of an oak- lined drive.

Very hot again. I think the high was 96. I love camping but I realized today that we always always always go in April or October. No wonder.

2 comments:

Dodger of Sheep said...

To whom it may concern:
We of the Institute for Appropiate Musical Accompaniment (hereafter to refered to as the IAMA) are concerned that the presence of said "particular friend" inspires you to begin singing songs by popular artist Toby Keith. We fear that the quotation of lyrics from songs such as "I Want to Talk About Me" or "Who's Your Daddy?" could be potential harmful to your realtionship with him/her. The IAMA is prepared to offer you every assistance in overcoming this problem, and to this end has prepared a list of appropiate musical compositions that you might wish to consider as replacments. Please contact us if you would like to take advantage of this list.
Thank you.

The IAMA

elliebird said...

I went to Tx last week and found out how much I love trees. Their trees are our bushes. I did love the high open sky and the feeling of freedom that you get from all that space, but even so, I don't think I could ever live somewhere where there aren't any respectable trees.