Saturday, May 10, 2008

panic

Three times in the past week I have hurled myself from the bed into the shower. I don't know how I do it because the shower is through a door and around the corner. I should probably call an Olympian official to watch this feat. I didn't oversleep once all last semester and 3 times in the last 7 days I have. Once I accidently set the alarm for 4:50 PM instead of AM. Brilliant. Another time I accidently hit the "off" button instead of the snooze. And the third time I was staying with a friend and was planning on getting up when she did. But she overslept. So, we were both catapulted off of the mattress...towards suitcases and the bathroom. I would love to see the activity on a brain monitor when the lateness of the clock registers in my gray matter. I sit up and I know that something is not right. Like a friend said at school when he overslept for clinicals, "It's light outside. It shouldn't be light outside." I glance at the clock and 6:01 blinks back sleepily. Double take. Triple take. Wait 2 seconds for the adrenaline to be adequately pumped to all launching muscles... and SHOOM! into the shower. Cold cold cold! Too hot! Too hot! Soap in the eyes. No time to shave. No time to condition. Get out out out!! Can't dry hair! Can't make bed! Put on makeup! Breathe. And vow never to do this again.

4 comments:

elliebird said...

Have you ever done that thing where your alarm goes off, you hit the snooze, and then dream that you’re getting up, brushing your teeth, putting on your makeup etc...
And then you really do wake up and realize that you’re an hour late?
That happened to me once on a school day and I missed my first class. The class with a quiz. A surprise quiz.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

okay. after deleting 2 comments (actually one because i posted the same one twice)... ellie, i hate surprise quizzes. And i really dislike those dreams. They are so delusional.