Wednesday, April 2, 2008

would you please leave... pig killer?

Our pastor has been traveling through Luke recently and last Sunday he had reached the story of Legion, the demon possessed man. The story had always made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Especially the, " I am Legion, for we are many." Wow.
I was glad to see the story tackled. I think demons are ignored far too much. And as the soldiers of the Evil One, I really don't think they should be.
But something I had never thought of was mentioned. Remember how Jesus stepped out onto land and the man (or men according to Matthew) rushed down to meet him? I mean, Satan was totally setting up his move. He was sending down a legion of demons to meet Christ. And they barrel down and Jesus steps out and.... "What business do we have with each other, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You, do not torment me." He hasn't said a word and they are begging for mercy! Don't send us to the abyss! Send us to the swine! And He does it almost nonchalantly. Oh, okay. Go into the pigs. And they surge into the future breakfasts of the Garasenes and send them plummenting into the sea.

Here's the kicker. The townspeople, in fear, ask Him to leave. I don't really understand this kind of fear. If I had witnessed this I wouldn't be in much of a hurry to start bossing the guy around. But He leaves. He makes the now-sane man stay as a messenger but He leaves.

Wow. A legion of demons just begged for mercy from this carpenter and then hurriedly obeyed His command and the humans don't want anything to do with Him. How typical. How horrible. He created us and we want nothing to do with Him. We have seen the glory of the cross, the resurrection of the body, the life everlasting... and are stilled annoyed by His presence. "Yeah, I'm glad for the crazy man and all. I'm glad that I can walk through the graveyard without being attacked.... but dang it! I was looking forward to my bacon and that man just put all our pigs in the sea. Who does he think he is?"
Oh, he's just Joseph's son. Just a carpenter. He only lived a perfect life and died a repulsive death because He wanted me to be with Him in Heaven. That's all. Big deal.

2 comments:

Roads & Bridges said...

your posts always amaze me. thanks for that insight. i had never thought about that story like that before. how the demons immediately begged for mercy without jesus even saying a word to them. it shows me that everyone, every being knows the power of god and the person of christ. it reminds me of romans 1-2. such an incredible passage of scripture, yet i so often forget and take it for granted.
thanks for this encouragement. i definitely needed it today.
i love you!!
~e.

Dodger of Sheep said...

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."